As most of you probably already know, Jeff and I are expecting. I'm due January 10, and I am about 17-18 weeks along. So far everything has been fine (no morning sickness and no tiredness) although Jeff does say I'm more crabby lately. I think it's just becuase he's more crabby (you know how that goes).
Anyway, now that I can't fit into most of my normal size pants anymore, things are getting more "real" and we have to start thinking about names. What's in a name anyway? Most plant names are named after people or places or describe some aspect of the plant's form. For example, the Colorado state flower, the Colorado Columbine, is named "Aquilegia coerulea". This is from the Latin, "aqua", water + "legere" to collect which refers to the spurs of the columbime that collect nectar. The word "coereulea" means blue.
I do have to say that I've definately run down the list of plant names that could be used for a child: Arnica, Sage, Lobelia, Aspen, Veronica, Linnaea, Lily, Fern, etc., but none really fit the bill. In fact, we really have no idea at this point what to name the child. Then there is the masonry type names: Rocco, Mason, etc. Rocco Wrobel has a ring to it don't you think? Wrobel by the way, means "sparrow" in polish. How about Wren Wrobel ? (somehow that doesn't make sense either). Then how can you possibly pick out a name when you haven't even seed the babe yet? Some parents I know wait 2-3 weeks before naming the baby. I think that's o.k. too. But how much personality can an infant really have? So does it really matter? If you have a suggestion on a name, post your comment and I'll make a list. Don't worry I won't go so far as to put the naming rights up for sale on Ebay, and in all honesty we probably won't release any chosen names till after the baby is born. But it's fun to think about.
1 comment:
LOL! Welcome to one of your first parenting challenges. This kid will have to live with whatever moniker you give it - forever (unless they really hate it and change it like a cousin on our dad's side).
Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) will have an opinion if you start throwing out options. Very few will be delicate in expressing their opinions.
GREAT BOOK: "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" - has not only the names, but what Americans THINK about each name. V. interesting.
BTW, my sister is considering plant-names for her babe. :)
We know a lot of people who develop a short-list of 3 - 5 names and then give one, when they meet the babe.
Oh, and I think you're required to name the baby before you leave the hospital - at least we were required to with Deven; maybe it wasn't a requirement but it made the birth certificate process a whole lot easier by having a name within the first 48 hours.
Good luck! - K
Post a Comment